1101 Riverside Road W
Chehalis, WA 98532
This 5¾ acres of land located within a bend of the Chehalis River was donated to the city by the Alexander family in 1906 for park development. The park at one time had two covered kitchens, six picnic sites each with a fireplace, horseshoe pits, play equipment, swimming beach, wading pool, bath houses, and concession facilities. It was used quite heavily during the summer months and was considered at one time the third most used park in Chehalis.
In 1988 it became necessary to close Alexander Park to the public as vandalism was an ongoing and expensive problem. At that time the Boy Scouts of America expressed an interest to use the park for their programs. In 1989 an agreement was signed between the scouts and the city for the scouts to maintain the property during their usage. In early 1995 this agreement was terminated due to liability issues and the park was closed.
In early 2000 a new non-profit organization was created to “Benefit the Citizens and Community of Chehalis Washington”. The Chehalis Foundation chose as a project to restore the park to its status as a sparkling jewel. They received a $50,000 kick-off pledge from WF West graduate Jim Lintott in honor of his father, a former Chehalis school teacher. He has match his generous donation by an additional $50,00 that is earmarked for maintenance for the park after opening. Many other generous doners have come forward to restore the park, including $26,000 from Security State Bank; $25,000 from Title Guarantee; $10,000 from Chehalis Kiwanis for playground equipment; many, many other monetary constibutions, hundreds of hours of volunteer labor and donated services and equipment are all the foundations for the rebuilding of the park.